We advise that ZEWU and NEWUZ met ZESA management on 24th February 2015 on
1. ZESA has computed the cost of imp[lementing the award as $117 million USD in backpay and an additional $5.6 million per month in salaries.
2. ZESA has no capacity to meet this cost.
3. Consequently ZESA shall pay once off 21 million to all employees in full and final settlement of the 2012 CBA Arbitration award. The 21 million shall be distributed through a sliding scale of $1628 for A3.1 and $2442 for D2. This is the same toxic position given by former minister Minister Hon. Mavhaire in March 2014 before the matter was referred to arbitration.
In response the unions raised the following;
1. The employer is not barred from paying its employees any moneys.
2. The meeting was not a negotiating forum and therefore the issue relating to offer and acceptance does not arise.
3. Statutory instrument 50 of 2012 and the subsequent Arbitral award confers rights to individual workers in ZESA and the unions lack the legal capacity to diminish such rights.
4. The two legal instruments cited above remain in force until varied by a competent legal process.
Your unions take great exception to ZESA Management’s cruel and degrading treatment of workers. In the circumstances, all workers in ZESA and enjoined to prepare for collective job action. The undersigned shall give signal as to the scope and timing of the collective job action. Please do not act on the advice of signal from anyone else.
SHINGA MUSHANDI SHINGA
DEFEAT IS NOT ON OUR AGENDA!!!!